Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 1
Thanks for pointing this out. I am invested in Monster but I also have two teenage sons (and three more younger kids), so I'm interested as an investor AND father.

Turns out the teen that died drank two 24 ounce drinks 24 hours apart and died several hours after consumption of the first drink.

Did you mean after consumption of the SECOND drink?

I read this article to get the latest update:
http://www.upi.com/blog/2013/03/05/Monster-denies-wrongful-d...

Key points:

- "After an examination of Ms. Fournier's medical records, pathology report and autopsy report, the physicians stated conclusively that there is no medical, scientific or factual evidence to support the Maryland Medical Examiner's Report of 'caffeine toxicity' or that Ms. Fournier's consumption of two Monster Energy Drinks 24 hours apart contributed to, let alone was the cause of her untimely death," said Daniel Callahan, one of Monster's lawyers, in the release.

- Callahan said the panel concluded teen's death was likely from natural causes related to a pre-existing heart condition, and evidence showed she regularly drank energy drinks and coffee without any problems.

- A 24-ounce can of Monster contains 240 milligrams of caffeine. A 16-ounce cup of coffee from Starbucks, by comparison, has 330 milligrams.

This last point isn't even an equal comparison. A 24 oz cup of coffee from Starbucks would have 495 mg of caffeine; or twice as much as the 24 oz can of Monster. I recognize that some kids are more likely to drink a 24 oz can of Monster, but the discovery that this girl regularly drank coffee & similar drinks appears to undermine the claim that the Monster drink caused her death.

It's still worth investigating the affects of these drinks since they contain more than just caffeine, but I think the media attention is overblown. Thus the downward pressure on the stock price is probably overblown as well.

MajorBob
Long MNST, SBUX
Print the post  

Announcements

When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement