Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (9) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread
Author: esxokm Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 49522  
Subject: Re: Another Video Game Failure Date: 1/29/2013 4:56 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 3
Thanks for posting this.

This is why I believe Iger is overrated. Yes, he purchased Pixar, Marvel and Lucasfilm. Even if one agrees with that strategy, it can be argued that they were obvious choices that didn't require much intelligence (and, unlike Eisner, Iger seems willing to overpay).

But the complex nature of the video-game industry is something Iger was unabe to unravel and fully comprehend. The ability to do that would have offered up some proof of possession of a valid and valuable skill set.

Iger chased growth with video games, and he purchased at the wrong time. I do agree that the Infinity platform could be a saving grace (highlight the word "could") but it's interesting to note that the company basically cloned a concept it couldn't acquire.

Iger, at the end of the day, is an overpaid CEO who lacks the will to innovate. He's a smart man, but I find his acquisition strategy to be very lazy. One bit of proof that there is some intelligence residing inside the erstwhile weatherman is his understanding of the need to change distribution strategies. The problem, though, is his lack of courage to try the really big experiments.

When that "Alice in Wonderland" movie came out, there was a big furor over the release date of the home video version. It wasn't that close of a release date, but theater owners expressed rage nonetheless. In the end, it wasn't a big deal.

Iger could prove his worth by releasing the home video version of the next Pixar film -- the "Monsters" prequel, I believe -- one month after it plays on screens. He could be a disruptive leader in that sense, and even if the test failed, it still would provide information of immense utility.

Or he could fast-track a Star Wars version of the Infinity platform, one that would see players rewarded for their efforts by the ability to view trailers, behind-the-scenes footage and other content attached to the next film. Imagine a game token placed on the Infinity device that leads to a Star Wars level that, once completed, unlocks a five-minute clip of George Lucas talking about his hopes for Episode Seven. I'll give credit where credit is due: this is such an obvious idea that Disney is probably already planning such initiatives. (By the way, this obviously could also be done with Marvel/Pixar/etc. properties; imagine a Disney Channel series represented with levels on Infinity: player completes a level, gets to watch an unaired episode.)

Bob Iger just didn't impress me...
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (9) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement