Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 1
Thanks for responding. By investment property I mean a rental real estate. I have short term losses from selling stocks that are greater than the long-term capital gains form selling a rental property. Could I offset the stock losses against the rental property gains and carryover the rest of losses to future years?

I'm not sure exactly how this washes out. You report the sale of the rental property on Form 4797, which can feed Schedule D, but which also can feed the 1040 directly. I always advise professional assistance when the sale of rental property is involved. Frankly, I find the 4797 incomprehensible.

Phil Marti
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.