Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (9) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: dsciola Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 19438  
Subject: Re: Mint/Other budgeting/personal finances servi Date: 9/3/2012 9:03 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Thanks for responding, I too do most of my banking online. I use B of A online as well as ING.com to take advantage of their better rates than traditional banks.

I feel we have a similar outlook and understanding of the rewards but also potential risks using the 'net to manage one's personal finances.

How do you feel about having all your financial info consolidated on 1 website, if I may ask? Mint claims your info is safe since it is "read-only; thus it cannot be used to make any transactions, implying then I assume that no one can actually move $ to / from Mint to your accounts or any 3rd-party accounts. In your experience, would you agree?

My inference would be that as long as your mint password / username isnt the same as your brokerage account, bank acount, and wherever else your cash may be parked, then you are 'safe' if say a hacker breaks into Mint and gains access to all of its data and thus your financial info. They'd simply know how much $$$ Christian, Dom, or whoever has, but couldnt do anything about it. Crudely speaking, it would be the same as driving by someone's 10k sq foot house with 5 sports cars in the drive-way and a pool. You can tell he has a lot of money, but can't really do anything about it...crudely speaking again.

Nonetheless, hesitant about putting all my financial info in 1 place. Seems like that would be a goldmine to a hacker, hence Mint is much more of a target and mebbe then potential liability then say an account with B of A, Fidelity, Ing.com, etc. Of course, I could be totally wrong here as well.

Thanks for your thoughts.

Dom
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (9) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

TMF Credit Center
The Motley Fool Credit Center arms you with real tools and simple messages, that will help you in every credit situation.
Foolanthropy 2014!
By working with young, first-time moms, Nurse-Family Partnership is able to truly change lives – for generations to come.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Post of the Day:
Macro Economics

The Story Behind the Story
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement