Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (12) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: ptheland Big gold star, 5000 posts Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 2374  
Subject: Re: Considering an RV Date: 5/13/2012 4:05 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Thanks for the comments.

Any particular reason to prefer flat towing over a tow dolly?

It seems to me the tow dolly has the advantage of requiring no modifications to the towed car (a FWD in my case), plus I'm sure some dollies provide the braking assist you suggest. The lighting is on the dolly as well, although I'd probably rig up some kind of simple light that attaches to the back of the van, as that's where people expect to see brake lights.

Further, the tow dolly has an advantage to me in that some of it's cost could be recovered after this planned trip. Modifications to the car would not.

The main advantage I can think of to flat towing is weight. A dolly is going to add something around 1000 pounds to the rig. It would be nice not to have to drag that extra weight around.

As far as backing goes, that's basically impossible with a dolly. (I've tried once in the past - out of necessity due to a wrong turn in a parking lot.) And frankly, it's pretty stupid to try with a motor home flat towing a car. The dimensions are all wrong for backing. Long tow vehicle, short trailer - that's a recipe for failed backing. (Look at 18 wheelers for the opposite - short tractor, long trailer, easy backing.) Besides, the towed vehicle is going to be darn near invisible from the driver's seat. Unless there's a backup camera system, which is probably something to look for anyway.

I certainly wouldn't try backing a towed car into a campsite. Mainly, you want the car available for use while the RV stays parked. Just (he says like it's simple!) get the car off the dolly and the dolly off the RV before settling in. Some clever planning would suggest a tow hitch on the minivan to simplify moving the dolly around if needed.

Then again, except for a small bit of experience towing, I really don't know much about what I'm rambling on. So I may need some education here.

--Peter
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (12) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Managing Your Wealth
Our own TMFHockeypop from Rule Your Retirement fame on the TV show Managing Your Wealth.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Post of the Day:
Apple

Apple and Ninety Years Ago
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement