Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (15) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread
Author: bergmanm Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 25235  
Subject: Re: 401k vs. personal investment Date: 1/6/2013 4:15 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Thanks for the detailed reply Acme. I will answer the questions you raised.

1) I don't have the list in front of me now, but there is no Vanguard with low fees. They all charge 1.3+% fees. I choose two, one of them is NBSRX.

2) About 45% tax - I am in California and these are the numbers for me. I went to paycheck calculator and adjusted the deduction until my net gain lowered by the same amount. And I have no discipline issues when it comes to investments.

3) Math in my own investment - You are right the math is not perfect. I had to start somewhere. I will look into factoring dividend gains and taxing and taxation on reallocation.

If I add 0.15 tax on gains every year the number I get is:
(i used a small program to calculate this:
total = 0
30.times do |year| gain = total * 0.08; gain = gain - (gain*0.15); total = total + 7200 + gain; end
)

Now the difference is 200k which is more substantial.

4) Tax percent on retirement - I went to paycheckcity and entered 27996 yearly income and that's the number I got. And for the sake of simplicity I am making the calculations in today numbers for both my investment and the 401k.

I like the idea of splitting the investment.
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (15) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread

Announcements

Post of the Day:
TMFDeej's CAPS Blog

Activist Investors Unlocking Value at LSB Industries?
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement