UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (15) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread
Author: RocketsMomma Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 10469  
Subject: Re: Black Friday is too Far Away!! Date: 10/8/2012 10:05 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Thanks for the explanation on discrete. I was reading some Sony threads on avsforum and a lot of people had the same problem I had and they all contributed it to heat and dry solder connections. In fact many of them tried re-soldering and fixed their machines, at least for a while.

I checked the website of the other local appliance store, 35 miles away and it only sells Sony. I suspect the one 8 miles away will be similar. I have NO intention of getting another Sony (I've had other badly performing Sony products) or an off-brand, don't worry. Right now it's just a battle of wills between me and DH. I think I'll be able to get him to understand the discrete amp just fine (he is an EE after all). It's all the other stuff and "why isn't the 373 just good enough, don't let those guys on the Fool sway you", I probably shouldn't mention to him the older version, the v371 which just dropped to $189 on Amazon.

I also agree with you on the binding posts vs the clips.

The major difference between the RX V373 and the RX V473 is the former doesn’t have component jacks.

I'm looking at both the Yamaha site and the photo on Amazon and both show the V373 having 2 component in (AV1 and AV2) and one component out.

I’d chose it if you can get a good price but would prefer the RX V473 because of the feature set.

What do you mean by feature set?

What if Hughesnet does upgrades (they will) and you want what they then offer?

We could get faster Hughesnet if we wanted to add $20-30/month to our bill. Sure it's possible they might get more "stuff" but I've more hope that Frontier will finally get its act together and bring the fiber optic line for a cable modem to town. Maybe in 10-15 years if we're lucky. They've told us there isn't enough interest! (we are in the boonies after all and it's the poorest county in the state.)

As it is we don't have smart phones, don't want to pay the money. We have a Net10 and Tracfone. There is no 3G up here. There are 2 or 3 of wi-fi hotspots. As I mentioned we can't get streaming video or internet radio, connections are too slow. Apple AirPlay? I assume that requires an iPod? Not gonna happen. We try to live very frugally here. But I am trying to get DH to realize the home theater IS our main entertainment.

No sales tax through Amazon so yeah it's a consideration as MI's tax is 6%.

I checked, you're right my copies of the LotR do say Dolby EX. But I just read this on the dolby.com site:

"Feature films originally released in Dolby Digital Surround EX™ (the cinema version) carry the encoded extra surround channel in their subsequent DVD releases, as well as onto 5.1-channel digital satellite and TV broadcasts. If your home theater system has a receiver or preamp/processor with Dolby Digital EX decoding and speakers to support 6.1 or 7.1 playback, you can hear Surround EX soundtracks as they were meant to be heard, with the increased realism created by the extra surround channel.

As in the cinema, with regular 5.1-channel Dolby Digital playback no sonic information is lost (although you'll miss out on the heightened realism)."

That seems to me to imply that I would need a 6.1 or 7.1 system to have it work. So it would be moot. Or am I missing something?

As for making the hubster happy tell him he chose well with the Sony (it lasted) and the amp you’re going to get will last that long – so it (as was the Sony) will be a good investment. Plus, you’re going to have gorgeous sound.

LOL, I have to tell you, my dad gave me the Sony. He was notorious for upgrading his stuff often. It's from him I got my love of music and electronic stuff. I'm looking at all the equipment in this room, the Onkyo stereo music system and the Sony HT system and DH did not have a hand in acquiring a single item except in that he helped pay for it and had to listen to me (sometimes, usually he tries to tune me out, says I get a little too obsessive about it).

Here is a comparison chart from the Yamaha. (threw in the v571) I noted the V -x71 versions don't have that 4k pass through.

http://usa.yamaha.com/products/audio-visual/av-receivers-amp...

Thanks for all the help.

RM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (15) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread

Announcements

2013 Feste Award Voting Begins!
Who will win the 2013 Feste Award? Vote now for the Fool that most exemplifies the Fool Community mission of Learning Together!
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Post of the Day:
Tax Strategies

TMFPMarti-Feeling Good
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement