Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (9) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: KingOfPizza CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 707  
Subject: Re: Dealer Behavior Date: 4/5/2011 12:43 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
Thanks for the input, everyone.

No one source told me to start at MS-60; it was more of a general concept that I put together on my own. Higher-graded coins have, historically, appreciated faster, plus I just want coins that look good. The coin in question in my original post just didn't appeal to me the more I looked at it. It seemed like every time I inspected it I found a new flaw. I guess that's part of being new and not knowing what to look for. I think I'll be better off for now buying graded coins, especially if I'm considering a purchase over the internet.

I did read in one of my books that the best guide for an investment-collection is to have the common coins in lower grades and save the home run swings for the rarer coins. I know the 1850s is a pretty tough decade for the rarer coins and I know I'm not going to get them all in 60 or better (or ever, for some), but I really don't mind building a collection one coin at a time. For me it's more than just collecting years, it's about collecting quality coins.

AW- thanks for the link. Those are some fantastic pictures. If I could take pictures like he does I'd start my own consignment business.

I made it to the Baltimore show a few hours before close on Sunday. I had dinner downtown with some coworkers Friday night and crashed at a friend's apartment literally one block from the convention center, but I was so incredibly hungover Saturday that I just couldn't make the walk. Even so, there were about 50 dealers left with everything under the sun and after browsing what everyone had and talking to a few dealers, I found a beautiful 1856 large cent, ungraded, listed for $160. I inspected it for a good 10 minutes, checking my reference book multiple times, deciding it was clearly better than AU-58, probably somewhere in the 60-62 range and possibly higher if not for the weak strike at the very top hairline. I haggled the price down a little and walked away feeling like a winner.
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (9) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Post of the Day:
Value Hounds

Kate Spade's Wild Ride
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement