UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (8) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: LTLisa One star, 50 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 308882  
Subject: Re: intro & what to do with extra $$ Date: 8/21/2003 6:18 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Thanks for the input!
I didn't include all of the financial details for fear of being too long-winded right away :)

For both of the estimates of $2000, I rounded down. I don't want to count on more than what I will end up with. I am selling the stock at a gain, but I am planning on selling enough shares to cover $2000 + set aside some extra for taxes. The stock has been pretty worthless for a few years but has increased significantly in the last month which is why I want to sell it now - I don't anticipate it staying where it is for long.

I think what I will do is take both suggestions to pay off the CC and put $1200 in the efund.

The loan is a career training loan, not a typical student loan. I don't know if it is eligible for consolidation. I will do some more research.

I don't have a Roth IRA. I will look into that instead of the 401(k). Thanks for the tip. I will admit that I'm not too well-versed in retirement funding. Something to do with my spare time :)

I have thought about getting a second job, but for various reasons it doesn't make sense for me right now. I am paying over the minimum on the cc, so I'll start socking what was going into the CC onto the student loan and back in the efund. My job is secure at least for a few months, so I should be able to build the efund back up to a semi-respectable level while still paying more than the minumum on the loan.

Thanks again for the suggestions. I'm sure I'll have more questions soon...
~Lisa

Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (8) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

TMF Credit Center
The Motley Fool Credit Center arms you with real tools and simple messages, that will help you in every credit situation.
Foolanthropy 2014!
By working with young, first-time moms, Nurse-Family Partnership is able to truly change lives – for generations to come.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Post of the Day:
Macro Economics

Looking at Currency Ratios
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement