Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (3) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread
Author: inparadise Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 8206  
Subject: Re: State Schools: In State vs Out Admissions Date: 4/12/2012 7:22 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Thanks for the link. It triggered me to google the subject and come up with this:

As he sees more flagships trying to attract out-of-state students, he said, he'll adjust his recommendations to students, suggesting that it may be worth applying to an out-of-state flagship that might have been out of reach academically before. "I'll tell them 'you might not have gotten in before, but you might now, and by the way, if you don't need financial aid, you've got a better shot.' "

http://www.insidehighered.com/news/2009/10/16/outofstate

I suspect Eldest benefited from this. We had actually considered buying a vacation property in GA a couple of years ago, in part with the potential to get in state tuition for him at GT, which he already had high on his list. His applying as in state might have worked against his getting in, which means the difference in tuition would not have helped pay the mortgage, an argument for the investment. We now own a property in VA, and are again considering splitting residency, to give Youngest more choice of lower cost schools. We intend to move there as soon as he graduates high school, so it would be much easier for us for him to be at school in VA than here in PA. I'll need to think more on that, but the need for action is a couple of years away anyway.

One thing for sure, this preference for out of state applicants seems real, which means that parents looking to fund their child's education may not so easily have that in state school tuition as an option if the kid is not a very strong applicant.

IP
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (3) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread

Announcements

Paying For School Guide
Trying to Tackle Tuition? The Motley Fool's Guide to Paying for School will help you fight those rising education costs.
Foolanthropy 2014!
By working with young, first-time moms, Nurse-Family Partnership is able to truly change lives – for generations to come.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Post of the Day:
Macro Economics

Looking at Currency Ratios
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement