UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (15) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread
Author: MsPepper Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 42338  
Subject: Re: suggestions on school troubles? Date: 9/19/2012 4:39 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Thanks for the post! I actually think she has some of those same problems!!

Her vision is ok. She already wears glasses (used to have bi-lateral amblyopia - lazy eye in both eyes) and routinely goes to a pediatric ophthalmologist.

Her teacher is mean - a yeller - and DD can't stand her. (of course she isn't doing better in math and she thinks that teacher is at least ok . . .)

She is very, very smart. Has always tested in the top 1% on standardized tests, for example. Due to strange circumstances that would take too long to explain and due to no fault of ours or hers, we couldn't get her into our school's "challenge" program this year. Of course "Challenge" - the gifted program - is only one day a week and mainly consists of projects so I'm pretty grateful now that she's not in it. I think she does tune out in class because she doesn't like or respect her teacher and thinks the material is dull.

She has had trouble with a girl bullying/bothering her. She stands behind her when they line up for anything because "the line is alphabetical." We raised it with her teacher who insisted that the line has to remain alphabetical. Still, I think she is working through this problem and it has diminished.

There are a lot of bad kids in her class because her teacher is considered a strict disciplinarian and, for that, she gets assigned a lot of kids who are trouble.

She does have some friends but has never been as good at making friends as her sister and doesn't have the same solid support network that her sister has in her class.

She got 2 tests back today from last week - social studies 98 and math 98 also. So happy about that.

We plan to try to get her tested for dyslexia/reading disability though I lean towards the view that that's probably not her problem.

In their school they have a program called "AR" which forces kids to read a lot of books each semester and take a test on each one. The kids choose their own books but if you are a kid who doesn't naturally like to read a lot - it's hard to meet the goals. My other DD loves to read but isn't a very fast reader and she even has trouble meeting the "goals." I loved to read as a kid but I didn't have that sort of pressure to read a ton of books and then take tests on each one. I really dislike the AR program because it crushes kids who don't like to read and can even kill the pleasure of those who like to read for fun since there are tests involved for each book. I don't think DD likes the relentless pressure of the AR program and who could blame her. It's exacerbating her dislike of reading challenging books.

DD is a bossy, difficult child who insists on doing everything her way. She hates to be told what to do and I am afraid she is rebelling by just refusing (to do homework as assigned, to pay attention in class, etc.) Her twin sister loves to know exactly what is expected of her, generally, and excels at people-pleasing which is, evidently, one of the reasons for their divergent success this year.

anyway - thanks for the thoughts.
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (15) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement