Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (3) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: steve2 Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 14  
Subject: Re: Genesco used to be only 2 just a few years a Date: 4/15/1998 8:18 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Thanks for the post to get things rolling, Mark. I'd requested this board and then became negligent in posting anything about GCO's quiet little move. Actually, I owned GCO for about six months last year while the street ignored three sequential upside earnings surprises and the stock traded in a range between 11 and 15. Obviously the news in early February that GCO was shedding its western boot business was the story that everyone was waiting to hear. The stock hasn't looked back since then. Based on estimated growth rates and EPS estimates, I figure this new found popularity could easily translate into a $25 share price.

You wrote:
>This could be the next Nike. Maybe. Maybe not. >Opinions?

I'm not sure that GCO even belongs in the same Shoe and Related Apparel sector as Nike anymore, since they're quitting the boot manufacturing business. Wouldn't it more aptly be compared to others in the Retail-Apparel/Shoe industry group? Maybe part of the appeal should be that it's been languishing with the wrong classification.

Somebody tell me I'm nuts for putting off a decision to get back on board. (Or tell me why not.)

Thanks,
steve2
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (3) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Post of the Day:
Value Hounds

Medallion Financial: TAXI!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement