No. of Recommendations: 0
Thanks for the quick reply TMFPixy

I have a couple of followup questions, if you don't mind.

You cannot contribute to an IRA for tax-year 2000 unless you had wages reported in Box 1 of your W-2 for that year and you file a US tax return based on those wages

What about a 401k plan?

Can I get an IRA or 401k retoactively from 1995 when I worked here (and filed a tax return)? It's prpbably too late (since I'd have to get my IRS stuff mailed to me from Canada) but I'm still interested in knowing... Heck, if I get some kind of credit, I can use it for tax-year 2001.

[sukotto2 wrote] If/when I stop working in the states and move home to Canada, what happens to my IRA or 401k (in the case that I do so before I retire)? Can I keep it/them even though I'm no longer a resident?

[TMFPixy wrote] That varies with the provider. Many will want a US mailing address for that purpose

No prob with the address issue. But are there any legal or tax repercussions to having a IRA or 401k plan when you're not working (or even living) in the States?

Fair winds

Print the post  


The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.