Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
Thanks for the replies - good suggestions and caveats to consider for 2008.

Couple of follow-up questions:
- Do you know the maximum amount listed for a married couple filing jointly to qualify for the 0%?
- Taxable income (this year line 43 on 1040)includes capital gains income (line 13)and reduces adjusted gross income by itemized deductions and exemptions. Is taxable income, line 43, the amount I should be concerned with for determining how much I can handle in capital gains to still qualify for the zero rate?
- Do I understand that I would be limited to the difference between taxable income, line 43, and whatever that maximum for married couple filing jointly?
- If so, since I do receive social security and have some dividend and interest income, would I have to make my best guess how much profit to take in 2008?

Thanks for your patience and understanding.
Print the post  

Announcements

Disclaimer:
In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement