Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
Thanks for the reply!

>> "It seems that that you were in an employer "managed" 401K program, and are no longer with that employer. Hence you must manage your funds yourself. Also, it appears that when you left the employer, some (all?) of your funds went into a money market fund."

Yes, it's a managed 401k. The amount that went into the MMF was a percentage of the total. I think it may have been some of the amount that was in cash combined with some of the amount that was in the employer's own fund.

>> "Is this money all of your 401K, or do you still own some of your originally allocated funds?"

The majority of the money is still spread out over a number of the Fidelity funds. Value, Four in One, Blue Chip, Balanced, etc.

>> "I'm with Schwabb. They have a spectrum of index funds, and I'm in several. No cost to slide money in when I want to buy, or to slide money out when I want to sell. To say nothing non-Schwabb funds with which Schwabb has no-cost arrangments. Also, the pantheon of individual stocks is available, with a commission of about 9 dollars per trade. This allows me to be as speculative or as conservative as I want to be. I track it all on Yahoo finance."

The firms I work for generally do not allow me to invest in actual stocks, so I only have index fund options at my disposal. I'll look into the Schwabb option, thanks.

Is there a plan I should be looking for? I'm afraid if I call these people will take me for a ride.

>> "A simple, no-brainer allocation would involve index funds tracking the total stock market index, the S&P, the Russell 2000 small cap index, something foreign (not "international", as such a fund would typically have US companies, represented elsewhere), and maybe a bond fund. I would also keep some percentage in a money market fund so that you could buy on opportunity. "Value" means what ever the broker wants it to mean with respect to a fund, so I'd ignore that word."

Good stuff, thanks!
Print the post  

Announcements

When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement