Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
Thanks for the reply. My question was related to non tax defered investments. I am in an upper tax bracket so she would possibly pay less taxes if it can be handled seperate from my tax burden. My understanding is: if she earns above $1,400 it gets taxed as additional income for me in my tax bracket. Is capital gains handled differently than regular income? For example if my daughter has capital gains of $500 does she have to file a tax return and pay capital gains tax if it below the threshold? Is there is such a thing?

Thanks for your help.

Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.