Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (9) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread
Author: PhotoPhool Three stars, 500 posts Old School Fool Global Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 121219  
Subject: Re: Specifying Stock 2 Date: 4/3/1999 5:38 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Thanks for the response! (Gary too.) I hadn't thought about the wash sale rule. But to tell you the truth, the short-term loss is so small, that it wouldn't much matter to me if I wasn't able to claim it. If I'm forced to use FIFO, however, the cost of this "little" mistake will be twice as much as I had originally thought. Not good. :-(

On the up side, if you're forced to use FIFO the mistake will not cost you any more than you'd have to pay eventually. You'd just have to pay the accumulated capital gains this year instead of in the future.

Thanks for the tip Bob. I found more information on FIFO and specific identification of stock at the Tax FAQ http://www.fool.com/school/taxes/taxes23.htm

I'm not a tax lawyer but here's my two cents worth. The circumstances of your trade mistake make it fairly obvious you were just correcting an error. And unless you're talking thousands of shares, it wouldn't be worth an auditor's time to contest the issue.

I'm not sure the wash rules apply here. They would apply if you had sold and repurchased. However, you bought and sold. So your original shares remained intact until the final sale.

Gary the PhotoPhool

Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (9) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread

Announcements

Disclaimer:
In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
Pencils of Promise - Back to School Drive
"Pencils of Promise works with communities across the globe to build schools and create programs that provide education opportunities for children."
Managing Your Wealth
Our own TMFHockeypop from Rule Your Retirement fame on the TV show Managing Your Wealth.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Post of the Day:
Value Hounds

Clorox Isn't Cleaning Up
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement