UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (11) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread
Author: EsM30 Two stars, 250 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 4936  
Subject: Re: Buying first rental property Date: 11/16/2012 10:12 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Thanks for the responses, it will definitely give me some things to think about. I understand you're an expert so I will have to think about your comments in more detail, but I'd just like to comment on a few things.

Bad move, unfortunately
I will have to think about this some more. I am not totally convinced. I do not foresee a cash flow issue. Even after refinancing to a 10 year, my mortgage is less than 20% of my net income. When I did the refinance, it was with the intent of investing the cashed out equity into stocks.

Do you make nothing in your regular profession? Or do you earn less than the local handyman rates?
I am a salaried employee and don't make extra income by working more hours. It isn't a tradeoff. I wouldn't do this with 20 units, but as long as I can manage it with one I plan to.

Increased equity is not profits... its merely the gradual accumulation of your net worth in one particular asset bucket versus others.
I understand that and maybe I wasn't clear. If I can determine that the property is cash flow neutral or positive with ALL costs taken into account, then the equity is actually the money moved from the renter's bucket to my bucket. This is where I have to do some more calculations with various assumptions. I really just meant I want to be conservative with my calculations and will only do the deal if it is profitable even if the property value never increases.
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (11) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread

Announcements

Pencils of Promise - Back to School Drive
"Pencils of Promise works with communities across the globe to build schools and create programs that provide education opportunities for children."
Post of the Day:
Value Hounds

Considerable Headwinds for Profire Energy?
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement