UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (9) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread
Author: wolferd1 Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 129261  
Subject: Re: wet carpet Date: 10/11/2012 9:18 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Thanks for the thoughts about the wet carpet.

We ended up pulling up about 4 feet of hall carpet and letting a box fan run for several days. DW is still convinced that the dampness has wicked much further up the hall. A guy is coming today with a heated fan to blow under the carpet for a couple of days and a dehumidifier to run along side.

I imagine this is similar to what nutsandbolts and goofyhoofy were talking about. I thought about renting such a fan but DW has a few respiratory issues and the notion that this is being done by someone who has done it before it has a lot of value for her. Mold and mildew is her great concern.

We will then put the carpet back down and give all the carpet in the house an overdue cleaning. It will end up costing about 3x what I would have thought, but not nearly as much as if it there had been floor or wall damage.

Paul, thanks for the thoughts on the water buzzer to notify you if you have a leak. But the truth is I am no more apt to turn off the washing machine when I leave the house than I am to turn off the water to the ice maker to keep it from leaking while I am gone. I am not interested in scheduling my life around a load of clothes or dirty dishes. So there may or may not be someone around to hear the buzzer if it went off.

On the other had I've long been intrigued by devices like this,

http://www.floodmaster.com/products/washing-machine-leak-det...

And your thought that you can buy remnants or even throw rugs to replace the ripped up carpeting. confirmed the fact that you are indeed a long time bachelor. That ain't gonna happen here.

Anyway, the path has been chosen and dealing with it has begun. Thanks to all for your input.

wolferd
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (9) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread

Announcements

Disclaimer - Please Read
A message about professional advice.
Useful Resources
Our Home Center has all you need to make buying and owning a home a great experience. Get or refinance a mortgage and much more!
Foolanthropy 2014!
By working with young, first-time moms, Nurse-Family Partnership is able to truly change lives – for generations to come.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Post of the Day:
Macro Economics

Economic Implications of Cuba
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement