Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (22) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: joshbk Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 24983  
Subject: Re: Hemispherix, CFS, and politics Date: 7/19/2008 2:19 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Thanks for the tip...looked up news on the drug. Is the idea that many products from small drug companies are over-hyped while they wait for FDA approval? It actually looks like things might be up for Genasense (http://www.marketwatch.com/news/story/fda-accepts-gentas-nda... but I see your point.

I'm still trying to think like an investor [- I read the MF guide book, and figured I'd start with an index fund and a large cap. I haven't even spent much time analyzing potential picks...]

But I do happen to a have a lot specialized knowledge about CFS, which compared to cancer treatments, has a more checkered past filled with public misunderstandings about CFS, which can be found everywhere (just scroll up a bit).

Regardless of the strength of HEB, it seems like there is a world of relevant information that's not being incorporated into this company's analysis. Misunderstandings of CFS abound (just scroll up a bit), but I don't vision Wall Street incorporating them, to them it's just "another small drug, would be the first approved for its disease, being marketed in an if-y field, to potentially 4 million people".

If anyone has time (and who does these days?) I'd recommend forgetting about HEB and the stock market and just reading up on CFS. A good yet light and entertaining description can be found here (http://www.davidsbell.com/Faces_of_CFS.pdf); you can piece together the history of the disease (which goes back, for all relevant purposes, only about 20-30 years) by reading blogs, advocacy websites, PUBMED articles, or even check out a well-known book called Osler's Web. Follow the paths of the original doctors in the field - it all makes an interesting story to say the least, these doctors have been put through the ringer: heartfelt tragedy for their afflicted patients, frustration towards the futility of their treatment efforts, alienation and scandal from their government, conducting hard-lined research on shoe-string budgets while being swamped with new patients atop old ones who are still sick, breakthroughs and revelations along the way of various sorts and sizes relating to etiology...

Anywho.. if anyone's able to do that, I'd be curious about what he/she'd thinks. At the least, I think, it'll be clear that within the world of CFS, Ampligin is surely something different - in the book of CFS, it would have its own chapter, and it'd be the only drug that has its own chapter, even if it's never administered again. It's not another hyped-up drug (there's really no hype in CFS at all); in this context, it's often seen as a wonder drug that impressed even the most hardened, cynical and genuinely concerned physicians in the area, but somehow got left behind. A sad story of patients unnecessarily losing years of their lives, hopefully one that'll have a happy ending.
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (22) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Foolanthropy 2014!
By working with young, first-time moms, Nurse-Family Partnership is able to truly change lives – for generations to come.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Post of the Day:
Macro Economics

Economic Implications of Cuba
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement