No. of Recommendations: 0
Thanks for yet another opportunity to say yet again that obtaining a home loan is NOT a commodity...

Oh, but it's a credit union, and we all know how wonderful they are! </sarcasm.> Usually I won't touch their rates, they are way too high and their fees as well, but this was pretty much a no brainer if the people dealing with the application actually had a brain. No genius required in this case.

We've been members for over 30 years and they are good at the basics, but even the credit cards can be problematic. Our son is headed to Spain for summer semester and he has to scramble to find another credit card because Spain is off limits due to high fraud.

But it's free, the rates are low, and you get points for every dollar charged. And as long as you don't live at the intersection of three states where a typical day of shopping could have you charging in all three, you are good. I do, and often have to use my cell phone to alert the fraud department that indeed, these shopping locations are but a short drive away, that it is just me using my card. I've asked them multiple times to put a note in my file. My favorite dealings with these people though was when we were living in the Caribbean. I would frequently have the fraud department deny my charge as I was trying to get the frozen food out of my cart and into my cooler bags in the car, necessary to survive the car trip in the heat. "Oh we were so worried because there is a lot of fraud there and we were wondering if someone else had your card..." I guess the fraud department doesn't know to look for the billing address to see if it was perhaps the owner using their card 5 miles from home.

Sorry, it's a day for venting.

IP
Print the post  

Announcements

Useful Resources
Our Home Center has all you need to make buying and owning a home a great experience. Get or refinance a mortgage and much more!
Buying/Selling a Home FAQ

Mortgage Professor
Offsite resource for mortgage questions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement