Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
Thanks for your advice. Just want to clarify one more thing - the $500 child tax credit is over and above the Child Care Credit. Right?


Also, one more question that I forgot to post earlier...

I received $7K from my ex as spouse support, of which I refunded him $2.5K. The spouse support has been garnished from his wages, so his W2 would show a payment of $7K. I had written him a check of about $1.5 K, deducting $1K for other payments he had to make to me...

The question is:
I am assuming IRS will only want to tax me on $4.5K I actually received as spousal support. Will they take me on my word, or do I have to enclose the detailed court order explaining the refund and adjustments? Do I need to fill-out any forms to explain this?

You report the taxable payments you received and any deductible payments you made. Without seeing all the court papers I couldn't say what those numbers are. You may need to get some advice from a tax advisor on this issue.

Once you know what your numbers are, you don't need to attach anything else to the return. If IRS is curious, they'll ask for documentation.

Phil Marti
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.