Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 1
Thanks for your question and sorry for the confustion. I should have use the built-in formula "1-year percent change in closing price" for RS52 and you can read my remarks with that substitution.

I will answer in more detail than you need in case others are reading this and may need the details.

The term "relative strength" is used in the Foolish Workshop and the Mechanical Investing board to refer to price strength (percent price change) over a fixed period of time. The definition of 0-RS52 is 100 * (C - C250) / C250. This is my personal notation (I use 0- if front names of PCFs that I define, so that these personal formulas appear on the top of the list of formulas before the built-in formulas). If you sort a watch list on 0-RS52 then the strongest stocks will be at the top of the list so what your are seeing is strength relative to the other stocks in your watch list.

RS52 refers to a period of 52 weeks or 250 market days, and RS19d refers to 19 days. (I should normally use 20 days for 4 weeks, and call it RS4, but the market was closed for Easter, so there were only 19 market days in the example I used. C is today's closing price, and C250 is the closing price 250 days ago. So 100*(C-C250)/C250 is the percent change in price of a stock in 52 weeks. Thewre is no built-in formula for the 4-week strength RS4, so I would use 0-RS4 defined as 100*(C-C20)/C20.
I am very fond of TC2000. You can sort any watch list such as the S&P 500 by 0-RS4 and find the 5 stocks in that list that have gone up in price the most in the last 4 weeks and then examine their charts with various built-in tools.
- foolsmith
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement