Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
thanks for your reply
my brother and i are grantors and trustees
my parents are the beneficiaries

my understanding is that income generated by the trust is treated as income of the grantors (who are reimbursed for the tax they pay).

it gets even stickier, my brother lives in NY and i live in CA (both high income tax states) since CA's tax rate is slightly higher than NY i think i'll go with a CA tax free MMA, so on my brother's side he'll get the federal, but not the state exemption.

hmmm guess i have to look at the spreads of each to see...
paper or plastic...<head about to explode>

Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.