UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (21) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread
Author: TheEvilDrP Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 1947  
Subject: Re: Kindie to first grade Date: 9/26/2011 7:46 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Thanks. I had the meeting today and the principal is amenable to pulling him out to first-grade reading and math but the teacher is NOT. She is adamantly opposed to it because his handwriting is not as refined as other children and because he still draws stick people. He also has trouble with the directions apparently. I think it is more of a perception issue as she told him to draw his name in colors; he drew his name in yellow and colored around it in red where other children drew the letters in different colors.

Admittedly his work is not the neatest and I knew that going in. The teacher said that when he finishes working, she lets him get a book to sit by himself and read but he wants to keep working with his friends. In her eyes, it means he's not ready for a pull-out; in mine, it means he needs a more appropriate academic peer group. There was a whole lot of Wombat-bashing going on in today's meeting, and I tried hard not to be defensive with regard to it.

Most of his issues center around classroom etiquette and not knowing this "Everyday Math" program and verbiage. She asked him to write a "number sentence" for example; when she said this, I asked her what a "number sentence" was. Apparently, it's an equation so I asked her if she asked him to write an equation. I feel like it's setting him up for failure to learn these terms that will only apply here and don't mean anything to the rest of the world.

So...venting aside, today I looked at a Montessori program that is relatively close. The cost is insane and I will have to hire someone to drop him off at school but there's a woman I know who is in a similar situation and she said her nanny might be able to do it. At a minimum, The Wombat wants a different teacher; the best part of his day is aftercare and he used to LOVE school.

Minxie
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (21) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread

Announcements

2013 Feste Award Voting Begins!
Who will win the 2013 Feste Award? Vote now for the Fool that most exemplifies the Fool Community mission of Learning Together!
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Post of the Day:
Tax Strategies

TMFPMarti-Feeling Good
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement