UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (19) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: Babble Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 571  
Subject: Re: The amorphous It Date: 4/8/2002 3:13 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Thanks. I took your lead and did a little web searching on Buddhism. This makes me far from an expert (!), I just gleaned some basic impressions from the intros I read.

It does as you say seem less specific and doctrinal about god and the rules and routines one has to follow.

On the other hand it does seem to have pretty defined & disciplined paths and procedures one is supposed to take up in order to achieve 'enlightenment.' I think this is where the general US public would find it difficult to adhere.

since we can know nothing about this uncreated creator of creation, we shall just not concern ourselves with it and go on from there.

There is some comfort in this approach. But I think many if not most people go towards religion in order to get some kind of insight on where we came from, where we're going and if possible, why.

So what I'm looking for is a relatively non-mystic way to actively look at and learn about 'creation'. Accepting that this learning is a process - one that probably never ends. And since our understanding will be fluid and ever-changing, conclusions, rules, and doctrines need not be part of the game.

'The joy is in the learning' sort of thing.
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (19) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Post of the Day:
Macro Economics

U.S. Stable, Europe Stalling
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement