UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (17) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: decath Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 60072  
Subject: Thanks intercst! Date: 8/15/2007 11:44 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 39
I don't see you on RECF anymore so I'm posting this here. I wanted to personally give you my thanks for the years you have devoted to the RE community on the numerous message boards and answering many of my FIRE questions and concerns.

I still frequent your website at least monthly to check for new articles.

I still remember a response you gave after I posted a question (way back in the early days of the Fool's REHP board) about the 4% rule and how it applied to those who expected to live an abnormally long age because of their diet and lifestyle.

I posted specific reasons why I believed I would live longer than most and got blasted by many posters as to basically being a fool for believing as such.

Anyway, you did not jump on that wagon and instead offered several reasoned responses, including modifying your retirement spreadsheet to include longer safe withdrawal periods.

I am currently on year 6 since I 1st formulated my FIRE strategy. I have had a few bumps in the road along the way: a layoff, over-weighted tech investments during the 2000-2002 meltdown, underestimating the expenses of my 1st 2 teenagers, DW delaying her entry into the work force (SAHM for 20 years), 3 knee surgery's for my collegiate basketball playing daughter, an expensive surgery for my wife, as well as the same day to day struggles that everyone has with their budgets do to rising inflation, taxes insurance etc..

6 years ago, I originally was hoping to FIRE right about when I turned 50. That figure has been revised several times but is now more realistically set at 53, which is 7 1/2 years away.

You have my gratitude and appreciating for sharing your wealth of wisdom with others!

decath
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (17) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Pencils of Promise - Back to School Drive
"Pencils of Promise works with communities across the globe to build schools and create programs that provide education opportunities for children."
Managing Your Wealth
Our own TMFHockeypop from Rule Your Retirement fame on the TV show Managing Your Wealth.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement