Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
Thanks Ira. Do you know of a good website that I can check on NC's rules? I looked around the Dept of Rev site for awhile, but it wasn't too helpful.

You're right. The instructions for the D-400 return aren't all that helpful. It indicates that it is possible to become a non-resident of NC by establishing legal residence in another state or country<b/> but doesn't explain how to accomplish this to NC DOR's satisfaction.

If your sojourn overseas is not permanent in nature and you intend to return to NC (and still have a home there) then you are probably still considered to be an NC resident and need to file a return.

Your best bet is to contact a tax professional in NC who has expertise in this area and pose the question.


Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.