UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (22) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: BenHacker Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 35346  
Subject: Re: 10 year treasuries Date: 1/3/2014 9:13 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
Thanks Joel.

Not much new, really. My new job makes finding time to research investment ideas a little difficult. That and I've been a little discouraged that what I see can do that much better than the market in general.

That's natural I think. This (beating the market) is frankly pretty difficult to do. Since I've been doing my RIA biz + a full time job for 7 years I can definitely relate. I think broad indexing can make a ton of sense and simplify your life a lot for the vast majority of people as long as you have a plan and stick to it and save strongly.

I also took a stake early in '13 in QCOM (tech common), ARMH (tech common) and NLY-D (REIT preferred).

mREITs scare me in general but I have owned some aspects of them off and on over the years. I feel the same way about tech as you do. I've owned small stakes in MSFT / NOK / AMZN in the past and a bigger stake in GOOG (sold a few years ago around $650... whoops). Just can't get into it given the change even though I work directly in the fray with a lot of these guys.

I added to a position in PMT (REIT common) and have been thinking about researching NLY again with an eye to the common (or to closing the preferred position since the common's yield is almost too good).

Care to give me an elevator pitch on PMT? My 2 cents on NLY is that after Mike F passed the company is in a dangerous place... he was really the glue and I am not sure I would make a bet that new problems won't creep in that only he would have been able to see. They are an absolute giant now... I'd be very wary personally. I have no great in depth knowledge but I do focus on financial companies a lot, and high level + great reputation under old management + new management is dangerous IMO.

I've also joined an investment club (talked into it by coworkers). They/we have one investment I keep wanting to go back and review for my own portfolio - CTSH. It's done outstandingly well in 2013, so I've become concerned that it might be ahead of itself now. Even so, it seems like a good issue to follow and might be worth taking a stake on a pull-back. The one problem is that it's kind of a tech play too...

My investment club will be celebrating 10 years in May... it's been fun but a little bit of a logistical pain at times. We are all fairly ideologically aligned though which helps. Never heard of CTSH, thanks for the heads up...

As for the QCOM & ARMH purchases ...

...Broad index funds are once again my largest holdings followed by a small collection of preferreds.

...I'd like to retire around the end of the decade. I think I just need to double my portfolio one more time. I'm kind of hoping to see another crash between now and then. Those seem to bring lots of opportunities. Between them, my investments are likely to become increasingly boring in an effort to participate in some gains without taking on too much risk.

Good luck on your retirement goal. If you are still adding some funds, I think doubling in 6 years is possible... but may be a stretch. Keep at it though, nice to be so close to meeting such a big goal!

If we don't see you around these parts much anymore I'll assume it's because you are making what you need on your road to retirement... we don't all need to try to beat the market.

Ben
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (22) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement