UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (3) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread
Author: Inahaze One star, 50 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 1656  
Subject: Re: My 2 bits Date: 6/21/2001 6:27 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
Thanks, John Quixote, and sorry for the delay in responding.

I did wonder if you had considered cooperating with other small printers to increase order quantities of hi-PCR content paper, thereby leveraging down the price

You see, my company is not a printer, although we commission printing. Unfortunately, even if there were more than a handful of businesses that offered similar services to ours, experience has shown that they (okay, we...) play their/our cards pretty close to the vest when it comes to revealing costs for typesetting, printing, and the like. In principal, a paper-buying pool is a terrific idea, but in order to make it work we would need to be able to warehouse large quantities of paper (in clean, dry surroundings), then provide for its shipment to printers around the world. I don't think this would result in much economy.

one of the available 25-30% PCR content copy papers (forgetting the company, but the brand is great-white and it has a shark on the ream-wrapper) is on the market today because the mill owner got on the phone and basically organized the demand for the stuff

The company, Great White, provides an excellent quality office paper, which we use pretty much exclusively--in our office. But our product is high-quality art and (though we are never supposed to utter the name) "coffee-table" books, which require coated stock for the most part and the few available recycled coated papers are hugely expensive and often not available through our usual printers. This leads either to our hiring a jobber to find and supply the stock (plus a markup to the printer for using it) or to paying an even greater surcharge to the printer itself to find and test it. And, since the printer is not used to working with it, chances of unreasonable wastage are tripled, so, once again, where's the value of using recycled stock if the job now requires two to three times the material? Conundrum? You bet.

But all this brings up what I tend to run away from considering whenever it rears its scary head. If sustainable business is something important to me, what am I doing owning a business that requires at least some non-sustainable (not to say anti-sustainable) practices? This is particularly worrisome as I have been involved in some form of publishing activity most of my working life, now verging on 25 years. It is what I do well. It is, to some extent anyway, what I love to do. But if someone told me that working for a company known for dumping PCBs in the local river was a job that they loved, I would have a hard time honoring that. (Okay, that analogy may be a bit extreme, but it gives some flavor of the conflict this sort of thing sets whirling.) I would readily change the nature of my business if I could afford the time and costs required for re-education, new technology, etc.—and still be able to practice this new calling for enough years to feel that I was contributing something by doing it.

Sorry to go on so long, but these are thorny problems I expect other readers of this board may recognize as applicable to their situations, too.

(Really) Inahaze (these days)
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (3) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread

Announcements

Pencils of Promise - Back to School Drive
"Pencils of Promise works with communities across the globe to build schools and create programs that provide education opportunities for children."
Managing Your Wealth
Our own TMFHockeypop from Rule Your Retirement fame on the TV show Managing Your Wealth.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Post of the Day:
Macro Economics

Smuggling Rice and Garlic
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement