UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (8) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: imcharliehm Three stars, 500 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 35392  
Subject: Re: OT: Jim Died at Work Yesterday Date: 11/16/2002 11:38 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Thanks, Loki.

It is ghoulish to admit, but no less genuine than my emotions of dismay and anger at his senselessly death were the technical problems of offering him the respect and dignity we each deserve, however flawed our choices, plus creating for readers who didn't know our world a sense of his stature within it. The piece was heart-felt and wrote itself first draft. I could fuss with it, fleshing out the narrative, spinning the lessons other ways, as Kierkergaard does with the Isaac story in Fear and Trembling, but we on the waterfront are unlettered folk, and I was already pushing hard in playing off of Conrad's portrait of Lord Jim.

When I got into the trade at the late age of 34, I was a mere kid to the men who worked the waterfront, many of whom had built or sailed the Liberty ships. Now, I'm one of the graybeards, but no new blood is coming into the marine trades, and we are dying off, a couple of guys a year, and generally from things that could be sidestepped or at least better managed. How to balance personal freedoms and group responsibilities? the choices one makes that affect only yourself against the choices one makes that affects others?

How must his family feel? “Dad went to work today and he died.” A friend saw Jim going out the gate at quitting time the day before and said “Hi” to him but was struck by the fact that Jim didn't respond coherently and seemed disoriented. Clues were there that Jim should have been at the doctor's office that day instead of coming to work, as he should have been at the doctor's months ago, doing preventative maintenance and the necessary repairs. It's not like the concept is foreign to us, of doing things right to begin with before the problems snowball. But the saying is easy and the doing is hard, and Jim is dead, and we miss him.

Charlie
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (8) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Pencils of Promise - Back to School Drive
"Pencils of Promise works with communities across the globe to build schools and create programs that provide education opportunities for children."
Post of the Day:
Macro Economics

Implications of the Ballad of Ted Plotz
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement