UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (1) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: gdett2 Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Ticker Guide Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 2890  
Subject: Thanks Miriam! Date: 10/2/2012 1:02 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 3
Who would have thought we might owe our thanks to Miriam? Not me.

Miriam was the little storm that could. She didn't have a big impact in Baja California, at least based upon the non-reports about it. I do not even know if she did make landfall. The last reports I heard said she was going to turn west.

But she did send a tremendous upper-level stream of moisture from the Pacific, across old Mexico and into our skies. Combine that with a surface flow from the Gulf of Mexico and a weak cold front from up yonder and we finally got some rain!

Our 3 day numbers are: .23, 4.42 and .72 for 5.37 inches of wet stuff. No lightning. No fires. Just rain.

October 1st was the end of our 24th straight month in severe, extreme or exceptional drought.

We drove around the place this morning and we were amazed at what we didn't see. Puddles. No water pooling in the low spots. They were muddy and some were wet enough to still have a shine on the surface, but no standing water.

Our largest tank will normally raise 5 to 8 feet when we get around 3 or 4 inches of rain. It is up about 18 inches. This tank has about 250 to 300 acres that drain to it.

A small tank in the north side of the mountain normally fills with 2 to 3 inches because the ground is steep above it. It has 2 feet in it(from dry and cracked). It is still soaking up water because the cracks around the edge have not swollen shut yet.

After watching all that rain come down, I am stunned by how much was taken directly into the ground and did not run off. And this isn't flat ground. From the house to the large tank is about 1/2 mile and the drop is around 85 feet.

Well, I am just glad we finally had a rain to start getting ahead of this drought. We are in better shape vs last year, 40 days vs 81 days over 100. More rain than last year. I am putting some wheat in this month. First seed in the ground since April 2010.

Gene
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (1) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

2013 Feste Award Voting Begins!
Who will win the 2013 Feste Award? Vote now for the Fool that most exemplifies the Fool Community mission of Learning Together!
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Post of the Day:
Tax Strategies

TMFPMarti-Feeling Good
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement