Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
Thanks, mrsDJB!

I've heard different things about box springs vs slats. I've always slept comfortably on slats, but hadn't really thought about whether that decreases the life of the mattress.

I'm on the west coast. I did a web search for Shiffman mattresses and didn't come up with anything useful. I'll keep my eye out, though. I'm happy to pay through the nose for something that will stay comfortable for a long time, I just get really irritated when I do that and then the thing doesn't last as long as I expected :-) Still, maybe we should look at some of the higher end stuff.

Last time we were mattress shopping, we browsed here: http://www.sleepworks.com/ They promote their stuff as a "sleep system" (rolling eyes), but it's kind of cool. They put you on a mattress that's hooked up to a computer to measure how much pressure your body applies at each point, then they do custom adjustments to the underlying slats to give the right amount of support at each point. Pretty pricy, and too yuppie for DH's taste. Plus I'd hate to have something that's too customized for one specific sleep position - I tend to go through several while settling down for the night. Still, it may be worth another look.

I also get a great night's sleep in the guest room bed (mattress on slats!), but I figure that's because it hasn't been used enough to start sagging and that it, too, would start to suffer under nightly use.

- Parkway
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement