Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
Thanks Phil for your response.

I had called the number provided on the letter 267-941-1000. This number is for international tax certifications. None of the menu options was relevant to me. Eventually,because I was calling from US, the phone menu tree referred me to call 1-800-829-1040, the standard toll-free line.

The 1040 phone line has an option for checking the status of 1040X filings. After I entered my relevant details, the response I got was the system has no record of any amended returns for me. The response also stated that amended returns enter their system in 3 weeks and and processed in most cases in 12 weeks.

On neither phone line could I get to speak to a human. I even tried entering 0 menu selection to no avail.

I could try writing a letter in response to the IRS LTR2644C, complaining about the delay, but I doubt it will get me anywhere.

Any suggestions on other numbers to call where I can actually speak to a human?

Would contacting the IRS Ombudsman or some other official help?

I guess I could always try our congresswoman.

Thanks again for your response.
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.