Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
Thanks Phil. I'll take a look at the form 709.
I'm unclear what you mean about "You're thinking about the wrong return" though, because all I said was my parents return. Isn't that where they would have to claim gifts?

It looks like form 709 is PER person in the marriage, not JOINT. So I would divide everything by two (my mother and father), and there would be two donee's (me and my wife). So the GRAND TOTAL divided by four is well below the $13K limit. Thus I don't need to file this form at all. :)

Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.