UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (4) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: xtraFool Two stars, 250 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 79818  
Subject: Re: rollover to Roth IRA Date: 10/15/1997 5:54 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
thanks Pixy for your help but.........

i'm still unclear about the tax consequences of rolling over to a roth. let's say i have an ira account with $2000 of deductible contributions and $2000 of 'non-deductible' contributions. i would like to rollover only $2000 to a roth ira account. further, i would like to move only the $2000 that i have already paid taxes on, so that i incur no additional tax liability. is this possible? or will i still have to pay taxes on 50% of whatever portion i rollover, in this case $1000 worth, since 50% of my total ira was not taxed?

that's why i thought i had made a mistake by adding money from my 401k to my ira. this just greatly increases the overall percentage of pre-tax money. i am not planning on rolling over my entire standard ira into a roth. so using the above example, if i add $16,000 from my 401k to my ira, this decreases the taxed portion down to only 10%. so now do i have to pay taxes on $1800 out of the $2000 roth rollover? being able to designate rolling over only the post-tax portion of my ira and not having to pay more taxes right now would be the answer i'm looking for!

still desperately trying to achieve foolishness,

Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (4) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next


The Retire Early Home Page
Discussion on accelerating retirement day.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.