Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (9) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: mpell Two stars, 250 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 121163  
Subject: Re: Tax Preparation Date: 12/22/1998 5:22 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Thanks to all for the very clear replies!
to Dick Smith:
"Are you sure you made money?" Yup. I mean I have about 25% more money in my trading account than when I started investing in Feb. so, I figure I made $$$...!!!

"How many trades was it? So you went crazy, did you?" Not crazy exactly... but I tend to learn only when real $$ is on the line, so I wanted to give myself permission to try different things and see what felt right to me (taking small profits, cashing out positions when news on a company's practices made me doubt their management, even a few day trades, cashing out losing positions to put the money to work elsewhere where I anticipated better return... several times I'd lost $ because I was afraid of taking profits and paying taxes. I decided taking profits is sometimes a fine activity when a stock seems to have peaked and the market very volatile...

All in all it was a great experience, and now I'm turning more towards long term holds on the few stocks I really like (they tend to be companies whose management seems most solid), especially in my taxable account. But I don't want to ever be afraid to sell when I feel fundamentals on a stock have changed, or when the market in general is so shaky that I don't feel comfortable holding all my positions...

"You did save the broker's confirmation sheets, right?"
Yes, I did save every one and will keep them safe!

thanks again,
mpell

Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (9) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Disclaimer:
In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
Post of the Day:
Value Hounds

Ubiquiti Analysis
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement