UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (14) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: ortman Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 308360  
Subject: Re: Help, I'm being robbed! Date: 12/12/1998 10:32 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Thanks to anyone who's responded to this post.
(I'm too lazy to go back and figure out who did.)

Somebody criticized my strategy of making payments as large as I can when I get my cc bill, then simply living off the card for the rest of the month. I then saw someone posting figures that defended my position with numbers. Thanks. Here's why I do what I do:

1. Credit cards are convenient.
2. I get cash back off my purchases.
3. Although my purchases acrue interest through the month, I've saved interest by having my balance say $1200 lower the whole month.
4. It's fun sending large payments over and over.
:)

All in all, I think I come out ahead or somebody who lives the month, then sends what's left over to their cc company.

I followed somebody's advice, and called my credit card company. I attempted to be diplomatic, so as not "get in a pissing match." When I finally reached the person whom I felt had the power to help me, I asked politely, "Please lower my interest rate from 28%."

He told me to piss off. So it goes.

However, the chap did offer to give me back my charging privelegs. He said that my steady payments over the last six months had made such possible. I must now be their wet dream, a proven credit abuser with a large balance + available credit at 28%.

It almost couldn't have worked out better. Since the card is now active, I can send all my money to that one card, and not worry about being strapped for cash if the car blows up.

Thanks for the advice, whomever offered it.

To respond to TMFJedi's suggestions (cool handle, BTW), I tried to apply for lower interest cards. I've been turned down, and in fact, the latest rejection listed excessive credit inquiries as a reason. So, I've abandoned that route for a bit.

Thanks.

-Dave
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (14) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

TMF Credit Center
The Motley Fool Credit Center arms you with real tools and simple messages, that will help you in every credit situation.
Post of the Day:
Value Hounds

Medallion Financial: TAXI!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement