UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (44) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: Hohum77 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 75785  
Subject: Re: Is my wife smarter than me? Date: 8/26/2006 3:53 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Thanks VTJon

I was thinking of putting 200K of the lump sum in fixed assets (bonds and money market) for 4 years...withdrawing 50K/yr and managing the 500K in small cap value stocks.I figured 4 years is enough time to ride out stock market bumps. I did the calculation and I think I came up with a 14% return averaged over 4 yrs would beat a 5K/mo pension check. I read Kiplinger's and all the time and they feature investors who have over the period of 4 years averaged returns of greater than 60%...

One of the issues is everything looks so simplistic in theory. I will do this, I will do that, and this should get me there. The reality is sooo different. The volatility of small caps and mid caps is a lot more of a roller-coaster ride than you think. Fall behind on your intended goal, and you start taking riskier moves to catch up. Another poster made a helpful suggestion...paper trade for the next four years, and see how you do. By the way, paper trading may not give you a full impact of the emotions involved when real money is involved.

In addition, you are discounting the adjustment-for-inflation a little too casually in these scenarios. That small amount will add up to a significant number over the long term. I think your wife's suggestion is the smarter option, but good luck to you.

Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (44) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

The Retire Early Home Page
Discussion on accelerating retirement day.
Pencils of Promise - Back to School Drive
"Pencils of Promise works with communities across the globe to build schools and create programs that provide education opportunities for children."
Managing Your Wealth
Our own TMFHockeypop from Rule Your Retirement fame on the TV show Managing Your Wealth.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Post of the Day:
Value Hounds

Clorox Isn't Cleaning Up
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement