UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (12) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: jlbost One star, 50 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 76418  
Subject: Re: Advice, please. Date: 8/17/2007 2:18 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Thankyou everyone for your insights and soothing my intial jitters.

There are several things metioned that I hadn't thought of. Like what if something happens to me!

My father set most of this up years ago and until recently it has been on cruise control. Initially, I think the allocation % was probably reversed. I do know he spent hours studying and tweaking it, but I don't have that luxury. Thus my query about professional help.

I'm not particularly concerned about any inheritance. If there's anything left at the end that's fine. On the other hand I want a sound strategy for Mom to minimize the possibility of her having any financial difficulties. The only expense she has that seems to continually go up is the rent for the retirement village in which she lives. Dividend and S.S. increases seem to have kept pace with this so far. She has a car, but it stays in the garage most of the time. I'll run the numbers with a 50% drop and see how long her funds would last. That would solve the rebalancing problem anyway!

The wild card, as with most people her age, is the potential medical expense. At present she only needs two prescriptions, about $30 per month (We all should be so lucky!). Is there a good way to plan for worst case future medical bills? Selling stocks in a down market to pay for them is one of my concerns, which of course would affect cash flows also. There is a long term care policy in effect, but I haven't had any time to evaluate it. I think it would only deal with nursing home costs though, not medical expenses.

John
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (12) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

The Retire Early Home Page
Discussion on accelerating retirement day.
Foolanthropy 2014!
By working with young, first-time moms, Nurse-Family Partnership is able to truly change lives – for generations to come.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Post of the Day:
Macro Economics

Looking at Currency Ratios
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement