UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (28) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: draknor One star, 50 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 75381  
Subject: Re: Estate / death taxes: was my grandfather foo Date: 4/16/2008 2:09 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
That doesn't make it a "death tax" any more than getting divorced results in a "divorce tax" or choosing not to marry in the first place results in a "bachelor(ette) tax." These labels are silly.

Her income tax increased because she has a 60% higher income now on a per individual basis.

This is true, but it's something I doubt very many people think of or plan for. And while you are right its not a "death tax", I think ziggy is very fair to call it a "death-related tax", because it was the death of the spouse that changed the income tax situation.

I don't think there really is anything that can, or should, be done about it, except for trying to plan for that sort of thing in your estate planning so it doesn't come as a surprise. I would definitely that as a "salt in the wound" effect -- to just lose spouse, have Social Security flip your benefits around, and then realize the IRS is going to look at you differently for the first time in 49 years. Wow.

And while the income "per individual" has gone up, I doubt the surviving spouse's expenses halved, so the real question (to determine the full impact) is what does her 'net income' (ie money for discretionary spending) look like? I know I'd be a lot more frustrated if my gross income went down, fixed expenses stayed the same, and taxes went up -- meaning my spending money just shrunk. I'd be less annoyed if my gross income went down, fixed expenses went down, and taxes went up -- and it came out about a wash.
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (28) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

The Retire Early Home Page
Discussion on accelerating retirement day.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement