Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (15) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: legalwordwarrior Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 13903  
Subject: That doesn't mean Date: 9/2/2012 8:51 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 3
what you think it means. We are currently reviewing applications at work for a new case manager. A woman with both a Master's and a PhD in Education wrote the following answer to the question: "What does academic integrity mean to you and why is it important at the university level?" (Emphasis mine)

"Academic Integrity is truth. Without truth, you cannot have Academic Integrity. We must strive to have moral terpitude in our daily lives."

Um,okay? Last tiem I checked, moral teriptude is something that can make you lose a job, not something that improves your performance.

Another gem was "in my current position I am responsible for the prevention of retention of students at my college."

Last one: in answer to the question, the applicant wrote "n/a"

Needless to say, these folks did not make the cut to the next level. If you are going to use a word or phrase professionally, please understand what it means. And if you are asked a specific question asking your opinion, don't give a non-answer!

LWW
Print the post Back To Top
Author: crassfool Big funky green star, 20000 posts Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 12570 of 13903
Subject: Re: That doesn't mean Date: 9/4/2012 1:28 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
legalwordwarrior says

what you think it means. We are currently reviewing applications at work for a new case manager. A woman with both a Master's and a PhD in Education wrote the following answer to the question: "What does academic integrity mean to you and why is it important at the university level?" (Emphasis mine)

"Academic Integrity is truth. Without truth, you cannot have Academic Integrity. We must strive to have moral terpitude in our daily lives."

Um,okay? Last tiem I checked, moral teriptude is something that can make you lose a job, not something that improves your performance.

Oh dear. Didn't even spell turpitude right.

Author: TMBFAverageJoe Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 12571 of 13903
Subject: Re: That doesn't mean Date: 9/4/2012 2:54 AM
Recommendations: 2
"Academic Integrity is truth. Without truth, you cannot have Academic Integrity."

Only on the surface. But if one draws a parallel to George Burns'
comment about acting, a surprising truth rears its head:

"Acting is about honesty. If you can fake that, you've got it made."

~aj

Author: legalwordwarrior Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 12572 of 13903
Subject: Re: That doesn't mean Date: 9/4/2012 1:53 PM
Oh dear. Didn't even spell turpitude right.

My bad. I was typing faster than I was spell-checking in my head. I wasn't as concerned with her spelling (yes, it was spelled with an "e" in the application) than I was with her using a phrase without understanding what it meant.

I had a typo with the word "time". It was one of those days.

LWW

Author: legalwordwarrior Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 12588 of 13903
Subject: Re: That doesn't mean Date: 9/13/2012 2:54 PM
And in a stunning turn of events, in which her amount of education and other background info contributed enough points towards a passing score that even with failing the integrity question, she's scheduled for a phone interview :0(

LWW

Author: discurro Big gold star, 5000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 12589 of 13903
Subject: Re: That doesn't mean Date: 9/13/2012 4:37 PM
Recommendations: 1
And in a stunning turn of events, in which her amount of education and other background info contributed enough points towards a passing score that even with failing the integrity question, she's scheduled for a phone interview :0(

“Somebody once said that in looking for people to hire, you look for three qualities: integrity, intelligence, and energy. And if you don’t have the first, the other two will kill you. You think about it; it’s true. If you hire somebody without [integrity], you really want them to be dumb and lazy.”

? Warren Buffett

Author: TMBFAverageJoe Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 12590 of 13903
Subject: Re: That doesn't mean Date: 9/13/2012 6:30 PM
"And in a stunning turn of events, in which her amount of education and other background info contributed enough points towards a passing score that even with failing the integrity question, she's scheduled for a phone interview :0("

Must have something to do with her bra size.

~aj

Author: legalwordwarrior Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 12591 of 13903
Subject: Re: That doesn't mean Date: 9/14/2012 9:56 AM
Must have something to do with her bra size.

That would be a neat trick. We haven't actually laid eyes on any of the candidates at this point. Everything has been in writing. Our next step is a phone interview for 10 and then on campus interviews for up to 5.

LWW

Author: legalwordwarrior Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 12598 of 13903
Subject: Re: That doesn't mean Date: 9/17/2012 9:54 PM
Whew! We got through the first round of phone interviews and she didn't make the cut for another interview. Thank goodness for well qualified candidates!

LWW

Author: warrl Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 12599 of 13903
Subject: Re: That doesn't mean Date: 9/17/2012 10:12 PM
Whew! We got through the first round of phone interviews and she didn't make the cut for another interview. Thank goodness for well qualified candidates!

Well, mackerels never seize.

;)

Author: legalwordwarrior Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 12600 of 13903
Subject: Re: That doesn't mean Date: 9/20/2012 4:25 PM
Well, mackerels never seize.

Yes, and we were sew happy to get to the route of the problem ;0)

LWW

Author: catfyre Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 12601 of 13903
Subject: Re: That doesn't mean Date: 9/20/2012 9:15 PM

Yes, and we were sew happy to get to the route of the problem ;0)

You remind me of Shaw's (or Ollier's) misspelling of fish (ghoti), except that sew and route are real words, and ghoti isn't. (far's I no ;o)

http://www.isegoria.net/2008/07/ghoti-out-of-water/

cat

Author: culcha Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 12602 of 13903
Subject: Re: That doesn't mean Date: 9/20/2012 9:27 PM
Ode to a Spell Checker

I have a spelling checker
I disk covered four my PC.
It plane lee marks four my revue
Miss steaks aye can knot see.
Eye ran this poem threw it.
Your sure real glad two no.
Its very polished in its weigh,
My checker tolled me sew.

A checker is a blessing.
It freeze yew lodes of thyme.
It helps me right awl stiles two reed,
And aides me when aye rime.

Each frays comes posed up on my screen
Eye trussed too bee a joule.
The checker pours o'er every word
To cheque sum spelling rule.

Bee fore wee rote with checkers
Hour spelling was inn deck line,
Butt now when wee dew have a laps,
Wee are not maid too wine.

And now bee cause my spelling
Is checked with such grate flare,
There are know faults in awl this peace,
Of nun eye am a wear.

To rite with care is quite a feet
Of witch won should be proud,
And wee mussed dew the best wee can,
Sew flaws are knot aloud.

That's why eye brake in two averse
Caws Eye dew want too please.
Sow glad eye yam that aye did bye
This soft wear four pea seas.

--Author Unknown

Author: Frydaze1 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 12603 of 13903
Subject: Re: That doesn't mean Date: 9/21/2012 11:27 AM
Ode to a Spell Checker

I loved that, and copied it into my email to share with someone... and it yelled at me about the grammar.

I had to laugh.

Frydaze1

Author: RaplhCramden Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 12731 of 13903
Subject: Re: That doesn't mean Date: 11/15/2012 4:06 PM
She probably started to write "moral rectitude" but thought that was too anal.

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (15) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement