Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (26) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: TP2004 Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 40755  
Subject: That European Diet Ethic Date: 5/4/2005 1:05 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 16
Never posted here before, but I just got back from two weeks in The Netherlands and noticed some interesting cultural differences that I thought I would post for what it's worth.

Seems a popular question has always been, "How do Europeans always eat what they want but stay so slim and healthy?"

Here are some differences I noticed in a country where it's common to have cheese at every meal, buttered bread with chocolate shavings on it for breakfast, apple pie a la mode-- and where cheese, chocolate, and beer rule the staple foods:

1) People bike or walk everywhere. Even the elderly. Use of mass transit is minimal. Add to this that almost all apartments have no elevators.

2) Less selection of sinful foods in restaurants. The typical cafe has a limited variety on the menu. An American dessert menu may have about 10 items on it. A Dutch cafe menu may have three. You're hard to pressed to find the "Triple Brownie Heath Bar and Pez-coated Sundae" here.

3) Almost all food is bought fresh. Farmer's markets prevail. So fresh veggies are more accessible. Plus, foods are bought in smaller quantities since they're carried home by bike or hand. Makes it easier to weed out unnecessary junk.

4) Along with No. 3 above, refrigerators and ovens are much smaller. People only buy what they can make/fiit in the fridge. Maybe leading to a mentality of smaller portions?

5) Healthy foods are cheaper instead of more expensive as in the US.

6) More relaxed lifestyle. People take more time with meals and appreciate the food more, so there is less woofing down of a quick junk food while rushing to work.

7) Much of the beer has a lower alcohol content.

8) Dairy foods like cheeses are fresher and aren't processed like here in the states.

9) Meats play less of a role in meals than they do here.

10) What I call "Technology Distractions," like videogames, etc. are more limited, prompting more the original form of recreation for kids: exercise.

Some interesting lifestyle differences... if only we could uphold half of this in the states, keeping fit would be so much easier!
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (26) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Post of the Day:
Value Hounds

Medallion Financial: TAXI!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement