Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
That is bass ackwards from my thoughts. When you withdraw funds from your tax advantaged account, they will be taxed at your then applicable tax rate. If they are held outside the IRA, they get a more favorable rate.

I agree when talking about stocks. In the case of bonds, however, most of the gains are in the form of interest and non-qualified dividends which are taxed at ordinary income tax rates in a taxable account.
The OP question had to do with taking withdrawals from a tax advantaged account that would be reinvested in a taxable account. My suggestion basically moves tax efficient investments from a IRA to a taxable account where one takes advantage of the more favorable tax rates.

Print the post  


When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.