Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (9) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: ivan4 Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 19314  
Subject: That label "Retirement" Date: 2/19/2000 6:25 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
I propose a poll to find a word to take the place of the word Retirement. I associate that word with some one becoming passive as their final career. How about Liberation instead? I associate that with being free to do what ever you want to do. Even if that objective involves work. I know it would take getting used to a word change, but we all have learned to accept the term Foolish investing as meaning truly wise investing.
Print the post Back To Top
Author: Grumpybiker Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 2341 of 19314
Subject: Re: That label "Retirement" Date: 2/19/2000 8:11 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
-I propose a poll to find a word to take the place of the word Retirement-
You've got a good point, Ivan!
"Retired" can mean a good many things. I was "retired" by the US Army after I got hurt and was thus put out to pasture well before I was ready. Most retired folks don't have kids in middle school anymore! Most retired folks are so because of choice and have planned for this event, hopefully successfully, in advance. Being "retired/disabled" with one's only real income those VA and SS disability checks can be a daunting proposition! It's tough when the US Army cuts you short before you had a chance to be "all you could be!"

Grumpy
SSG, US Army (Retired)
Past Commander, American Legion Post 437
http://www.geocities.com/Heartland/Village/7958

Author: JACKMcFOOL Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 2351 of 19314
Subject: Re: That label "Retirement" Date: 2/19/2000 12:48 PM
Recommendations: 1
Liberation, is a good word, since you are now freed from the "slavery" of work would emancipated be too much? How about "self employed in the esoteric endeavors of life"? Too wordy, is there a word for having enough money to have the time to do what you enjoy? Perhaps retired in this context is not so bad after all. Just to elaborate further my father retired at 55 and I swear was and is more busy than when he was working. I never thought of him as being put out to pasture, NEVER. When I retire perhaps I'll just say I have "moved on to the next level". Many beaches to visit sights to see classic cars to own maintain and drive. Retirement is only bad when you are only concerned by such trivialities as, where's the remote, what's to eat next, or too much alcohol and at the risk of offending some playing golf.
Cheers and enjoy,
McFool

Author: mattpam Three stars, 500 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 2355 of 19314
Subject: Re: That label "Retirement" Date: 2/19/2000 7:04 PM
Recommendations: 1
I share your your sentiments - but other synonyms are just as distasteful! It usually means premature or forced retirement; unemployable due to over qualifications; pre-conceived ideas of senility, etc. etc. When will the establishment wake-up to the reality that we are building the world's largest reservoir of under-utilised talent, by putting out to pasture people with 45+ years of accumulated wisdom! Sixty five may have seemed old 50 years ago; however, the rapid increase in the life expectancy of adults calls for a re-appraisal of conventional wisdom about senior employment. I play tennis 3 or 4 times a week, waste muchos time on my computer, read a bit and try to engage in as many pro-bono public activities as a I can But the fact is I see all kind of problems around me, that I am discouraged from helping resolve. People were happy to pay a $1000/day fee as a consultant, but when you volunteer - you are labelled as an interferring old busybody! Its a strange world we lived in - Matthew

Author: ed6713 Two stars, 250 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 2357 of 19314
Subject: Re: That label "Retirement" Date: 2/19/2000 9:22 PM
I retired at 56 & don't feel the need to explain anything to anyone. It's acutally fun meeting new people. When you meet new people, an old Amercian social custom, seems to dictate that one of the very first things that must be asked is "What do you do?" Meaning, "What's your JOB?" Based on that info., people assign you a status relative to theirs. When people ask me "What do you do?". I reply "Things that make me happy. How about you?"
The look on their face is priceless.
(*_*)
V

Author: mepiper One star, 50 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 2360 of 19314
Subject: Re: That label "Retirement" Date: 2/19/2000 10:57 PM
ed6713---- Great answer !! Thats how I feel. Retirement is wonderful!! Never been so busy doing the things I want to do. Isn't life wonderful? Regards, mepiper

Author: waldronr Two stars, 250 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 2361 of 19314
Subject: Re: That label "Retirement" Date: 2/19/2000 11:30 PM
"Things that make me happy."
Right on!
I 'retired' 3 times, but the previous 2 were just long weekends between jobs.

One of my 'Things that make me happy' is having control of my own schedule again. I seem to have given it away when I got working papers at 14 1/2 and didn't get it back until age 61. :)

It was my grandmother who used to say 'There's no Fool like an old Fool' guess she was predicting the future...

Good night.

Ron W.

Author: ours27 Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 2365 of 19314
Subject: Re: That label "Retirement" Date: 2/20/2000 10:55 AM
Now that I'm retired I wake up every morning with nothing to do and by evening I'n only half finished.

Author: mattpam Three stars, 500 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 2412 of 19314
Subject: Re: That label "Retirement" Date: 2/22/2000 11:47 AM
Sorry, just got round to reading my replies. I think your reply says it all. My job is doing nothing well! As I have already done most the things I wanted to do in my lifetime, I'm just coasting. I retired to a place where I can play tennis and golf year-round and I divide my time between doing 'pro bono' things in the community and playing around on my computer. My wife of 42 years and I visit our three children in Oregon each summer and visit our few remaining relatives in UK from time to time. We are healthy and comfortable placed - What more can you ask? Best wishes - Matthew

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (9) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement