UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (306) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: aoeuid One star, 50 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 308360  
Subject: Re: Bankrupt or try to 'gut it out'? Date: 11/2/2012 6:28 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
That said -- your biggest issue is a spending problem. As many will say you can't borrow your way out of debt. I don't necessarily think 401(k) loans are terrible but the spending problem needs to be fixed first.

***Agreed. Fix the spending problem. Card cards are put away from me. I handed them over from the wife. I think she is more responsible with them than I am. I can get hypomanic and do some dumb stuff (ie. the Wii and 500 bucks worth of books a month).

***I think the idea of using a credit card makes either of us feel like puking.

***We got rid of the cable TV today. So, there went 50 bucks a month. I wont miss it. So long term, if I am no longer buying books and we no longer are paying 50 bucks per month to get brain dead in front of a TV . . . then that is off to a good start.

***I still think we waste too much at the grocery store. The wife (who does the shopping)does not think this is the case. And . . . i agree and understand that unless and until I am ready to go get the groceries, then I need to keep my mouth shut because I don't know what I am talking about. She has more time at home than I do. I will help on the weekends if she buys the food, to prep in at the weekends, and freeze it for the upcoming weeks. That seems to be a general item on saving money on food that we miss. We like the convenience of Schwans, but we can't afford that.

***She has allotted 500 bucks per month for the groceries. Is it possible to trim that down to 300 per month, with a a family of five? Three little girls (ages 5,7 and 9) and then her and I.

I assume my 737 credit score today is respectable. But without a reduction in expenses to create a better positive cash flow, I don't imagine any real bank (NOT QUICKEN LOANS) or credit union is going to spend much time talking to me.
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (306) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

TMF Credit Center
The Motley Fool Credit Center arms you with real tools and simple messages, that will help you in every credit situation.
Post of the Day:
Value Hounds

Medallion Financial: TAXI!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement