UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (29) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread
Author: 2gifts Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 75335  
Subject: Re: What are your thoughts? Date: 8/20/2007 9:09 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
That's a good point that tends to make some people overestimate what they will need in retirement.

If you're saving 20% of your income for retirement, assuming you've planned appropriately, that's immediately 20% of your income that you won't need for retirement. And add the reduced taxes on top of a smaller income, perhaps less in commuting expenses, and maybe that a retired couple might be able to have one car instead of two, et cetera, et cetera, and if people live simply, there's a good chance they'll need less than they think they will.

I think it depends on the individuals whether or not they really get to keep that 20% that was initially earmarked for savings. In our case, we will have to provide our own medical insurance, and that's a big expense that we don't pay for now.

For my planning purposes, I do use 100% of my paycheck as that's what we live on now. I have done things like reallocate the mortgage to medical expenses, the kids' college savings to a travel fund to visit them wherever they may end up, and have done other things like decrease groceries but increase dining out.

I have a spreadsheet that has estimates of what we spend now on things, and I use that to estimate what we'll spend in retirement so that I have some sort of planning guideline. That still says that we need 100% of my paycheck, so that's how we plan.

We've always put DH's earnings into savings, so I just ignore those as we won't need that during retirement, but in reality, he expects to keep doing a little bit of that to have something to keep him busy.

I just find the exercise of thinking all this through and writing it down to be useful in determining things like target savings goals and target retirement dates. We're still hoping that it will be somewhere between the day the kids graduate college in 6 years and 8 years out.
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (29) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread

Announcements

The Retire Early Home Page
Discussion on accelerating retirement day.
Post of the Day:
Value Hounds

Medallion Financial: TAXI!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement