No. of Recommendations: 0
That's right. Just to add to that, the IRS does not want you to "protect" your capital gains since some part of that $2000 will probably have gains you should have paid taxes on. A reminder- Schwab charges $29 a year for IRA's if the balance is less than $10,000. Unless you decide to use your own cash to make the contribution (and not liquidate the stock, deposit it into the IRA and repurchase it), the Schwab commissions ($29 per trade) would be costly as well as having to paying taxes on the gains and repurchase the stock at a higher market price. I'd go with a discount broker for the Roth.
Print the post  


The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.