No. of Recommendations: 1
http://reason.com/archives/2012/10/16/90-days-and-no-good-re...

I spent the last couple of days slogging through the 60-odd pro-Obama essays posted at "90 Days, 90 Reasons." Dave Eggers and Jordan Kurland, a band manager, started the project in July in the hopes that they might "re-inspire the grassroots army that got Obama elected in the first place."

Eggers and friend sought contributions from "a wide range of cultural figures," including actors, directors, various unfunny comics, singers from twee little indie bands with names like My Morning Jacket and a gaggle of self-described "writers." The end product gives the lie to the old adage that "writing is thinking." Staggering genius this ain't -- for the most part, you can find more clarity and insight in Miss America contestants' perennial calls for "world peace."

A few examples: "Life is short, very short, and what are we doing here if not trying to become more generous and loving?" writes creative writing professor George Saunders. "President Obama is a body surfer ... He has a profound respect for nature," notes musician Jack Johnson. Fulfilling the ideal of government for the people "means that transgender men get to work alongside fratboys at an investment bank," write director Tom Gilroy and musician Michael Stipe. "What Obama did -- and continues to do -- is expand the lungs of our ongoing sense of identity," gushes author Colum McCann. Only a narrow-lunged bigot would deny the significance of that achievement. The incoherence, petulance and desperation of "90 Days" documents the decline of a presidential cult.

I write better than those folks on four hours' sleep and with half a bottle of merlot in me. Maybe I should go into show biz or journalism.

--fleg
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 0
Quoted: Life is short, very short, and what are we doing here if not trying to become more generous and loving? ~George Saunders.

So who's stopping you from being "generous and loving?" Why must you be forced through taxation to be generous and loving? Why are you so undisciplined and small-minded that you can't be generous and loving as you see fit?

Democrats. Sheesh.
"So who's stopping you from being "generous and loving?" Why must you be forced through taxation to be generous and loving? Why are you so undisciplined and small-minded that you can't be generous and loving as you see fit? Democrats. Sheesh." - catherine."
---------------------

Me. I'm not a good person. I won't give unless I'm forced to at the point of a gun.

Most women wouldn't put up with me.

Artie
Art wrote: Me. I'm not a good person. I won't give unless I'm forced to at the point of a gun. Most women wouldn't put up with me.

What do "women" have to do with anything?

Generosity is for the benefit of the giver, not the recipient.
How's this?

"Obama the Great surfed on a wave of ignorance that propelled him to a job he couldn't possibly do, and while there, he has stirred up a great Blamestorm, after which he generously threw the bodies of those who could not comprehend the greatness of his ego under the wheels of the bus of his narcissistic personality disorder, even as the liberals who voted for him because he was black declare that any failures are because of racists. And George Bush."
Advertisement