Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
That's the wrong answer. It doesn't matter how he filed the original return. What matters is whether the unclaimed deductions are large enough to move him into itemized deduction territory. If so, file the amended return, include a Schedule A, and claim whatever refund he is due.


Not necessarily. If these taxes are enough that they would have taken you over the standard deduction, you can file an amended return with itemized deductions and get a refund of the difference in tax liability.


Thanks Ira,#29

The taxes were only $50 a year. Trying to make sure that all the deductions/basis were used.

Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.